YouTube is the world’s second largest search engine after Google. With over a billion users, nearly one-third of all people on the Internet, every day people watch hundreds of millions of hours on YouTube. YouTube processes more than 3 billion searches a month. And it is free!
GETTING SET UP
Creating a YouTube Channel for your business is easy. You’ll need a Google+ account for your business. Login to YouTube with your Google login – your user name is your Gmail email address. Go to ‘All my channels’. Access this by clicking on your icon in the upper right corner then choose Other Accounts > View All for Your-Email@gmail.com. Choose your business from the Brand Page or create a new channel.
Fill out the details of your channel and/or copy and paste your business description I wrote about last month. Verify your account. Be sure to add your website address and telephone number in your YouTube channel description.
TOP FIVE REASONS TO HAVE A YOUTUBE CHANNEL
- SEO Having a YouTube channel with a keyword rich description, a link to your website and your telephone number will help your ranking to your website. YouTube is a quality back-link. Be sure to add your url to all your video descriptions.
- Brand Awareness – Visually tell the world about your brand, your offering and your company culture. Share your YouTube videos on social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter to grow your brand.
- Drive Traffic to Your Website – Be sure to include your website address in your channel description and the descriptions of videos your produce and upload to YouTube. If someone watches your videos and wants to learn more, make it easy for them! Always include your website address and telephone number in video descriptions.
- Create a Following – Encourage your customers to subscribe to your channel so they will be alerted when you upload new videos.
- Easy to Use – Creating a channel and uploading videos to YouTube is incredibly easy. 100 videos are uploaded to the platform every minute -read statistics. Reach a younger audience who are increasing giving up cable and watching videos on this free service.
NO VIDEOS? NO WORRIES!
I’ve got ideas! Video production can be expensive. Many of today’s cell phones offer good video quality and there are several free video editing apps available. Shoot a short, 60 second video of your location. Shoot a video of a product you sell or manufacture. Shoot a video of the incredible scenery in your area.
Videos should be short – 30 seconds to 3 minutes in total length. Upload the video. Give video a great title that describes it well. Create a keyword rich description of the video and add some keywords. Publish. Appear in search results on Google and YouTube, sweet!
If appropriate, be sure to embed videos into your website. YouTube provides the coding, just send it to your web developer to include in your website.
ADD VIDEOS FROM ANOTHER SOURCE
Not ready to produce videos yet? Just add a few videos that relate to your business to your channel. They do not need to be your videos. If you sell XYZ socks, and the XYZ sock company has a video on YouTube about their socks, you can add this video to your channel. If you are in the hospitality business, the state or a destination marketing group (such as Southwest Montana) often have videos you can add to your channel.
FREE WAYS TO MARKET YOUR BUSINESS
Sometimes the best things in life are free. Seldom does one think of advertising as free, but in today’s digital age, the building blocks of marketing on the internet are free. In this series, I will go over 7 opportunities to market your business that have no out-of-pocket cost. Your investment is your time.